Friday, January 13, 2012

Rio Vista Beehives

Recently I have been fascinated by the wonderful and interesting life of honeybees.  My companion and I were introduced to these little creatures by one of the members of the Church and he needed some help switching over some hives.  Well I'm not quite sure if he really needed our help or not, but we gladly volunteered to dress up in the bee suits to help him with his bee needs. So on a beautiful Saturday morning we found ourselves exploring the hectic life of honeybees.
We made our way over to crack the lid on the bee box to check them out.  These bees were not quite sure how to respond to us. I'm sure they were fearing there was an intruder coming so they were doing there job to protect their hive. Our bee tour guide didn't think anything of it and acted like it was a normal thing for all of this to happen.  I on the other hand was a little weary of these creatures and not quite sure how to respond, so I took a couple steps back of fear of getting stung.  I soon realized that I was not going to get stung so I returned to help the bees.  After getting used to having thousands of bees swarming around me, I couldn't help but think how amazing these creatures are.  The worker bees were the ones that really amazed me.  They only live roughly for 45ish days and basically work themselves to death.  I thought to myself that somehow I needed to learn something from these bees.  They only live 45 days and their whole lives they are doing something productive.  They're not sitting around playing xbox, sleeping all day, or engaging themselves in other time wasting activities.  They are diligent, hard-working and doing what they are made to do. I related that to us.  Our Heavenly Father created us and for a purpose.  Lately I have been thinking to myself if I could be more like these honeybees and do what I am supposed to do here on earth.  I know we live a little bit longer than 45 days, but the same concept applies. We live for roughly 70-80 years.  During this probationary time we are here, are we filling this time with what we are supposed to do here and follow Jesus Christ? Or are we off over in left field somewhere playing with dandelions?
As we read in the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi 2:25 it reads: "Adam fell that men might be; and men are that they might have joy." Once Adam partook of the forbidden fruit they were able to know good from evil, to experience joy and sorrow, but he first had to experience what brings joy, and what brings sorrow.  As we are here living our lives we can do the same and find what brings joy and what brings sorrow.  Our loving Heavenly Father created us so that we can have joy and experience trials and opposition.  Sometimes we have to learn the hard way and make mistakes to learn what we're supposed to do.
I know that Heavenly Father has a purpose and a plan for each one of us to be happy in this life, and gain Eternal life in the world to come.  As we come unto our Savior Jesus Christ and turn our lives towards him, with full purpose of heart, he can and will heal us to become more like him. He loves us. I know that if we fill our lives with purpose and meaning, just as these honeybees do and fulfill what we were made for that we can be happy. Even if we think that we are already happy and don't need anything else, there is so much more out there that we do need.  I know this from experience in my life. Living a life full of sports, snowboarding and listening to music is fun and all and it may make me happy, but I can be happier.  Fulfilling our purpose and being happy are directly connected.  If we are fulfilling our purpose and doing what we are made to do, the happiness follows. I know we can't make these steps alone, but if we turn to Christ, he will help us.

 "But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage"
Mosiah 7:33.




 

2 comments:

  1. Good post! "men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause." I'm happy you didn't get stung by these bees man, they look vicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read an article about bees that really interested me. I am going to change a few words, but this is what I got from the message.

    "A beehive is like a colony of missionaries (she was talking to young women) all working together toward a common goal. Because a bee is so small and her lifespan so short, each bee produces only 1/12 of a tsp. of honey in her lifetime. It takes the lifetime of at least two dozen bees just so I can enjoy a little honey on a slice of toast in the morning. This gives you an idea what we can accomplish when we work together: 1/12 of a teaspoon per bee isn't much, but it adds up quickly."

    I think when missionaries and members work together; praying, teaching, inviting, befriending, helping, loving, not judging, blessing others lives, each small and simple thing we do adds up to helping others Follow Christ. We are so blessed to be able to all work together for this common cause!

    Remember the symbol of the beehive represents industry or diligence. How many other interpretations of the "bee" can we share? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete